Tuesday 5 June 2007

Gimme me a wafer and a mouthful of wine blues

According to ANSA, a priest in the province of Bari has refused the Eucharist to a young gay man from a 'difficult family'. Unfortunately, the press release doesn't specify what kind of Eucharist. The tasteless wafer produced in some factory somewhere under Vatican licence, one imagines, or that other rather stickier Eucharist certain priests provide to the faithful. Given that it was refused, I assume it must have been the former.


What I don't understand is why a young man, however difficult his family may be, should want to humiliate himself in front of his oppressor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should know, that in Italy it is almost impossible to say that you are not catholic if you believe in God...even the opposite, when I wrote some "mystical" short stories and I claimed I believe in God to a (pseudo) communist group of poeple in a "centro sociale" where I used to attend a creative writing course, they actually believed I was catholic, like probably the majority of gay people in Italy

Charles Lambert said...

You're probably right, but I see more and more people whose idea of god is so vague and non-denominational that they can't really be considered catholic. They're the people B16 worries about when he rants about New Ageism. I must admit I find gay people who continue to regard themselves as catholics as equivalent to self-harmers; but I'd put gay people who vote centre-right into the same category.

Anonymous said...

It is true that the situation is so varied - I mean, in Italy there is the biggest amount of Buddists in a Western country. But the fact is that the official God is still the Catholic one, the Church has its own specific political ideology, often contradicting itself but which has the power on the people, and I would say people themselves, even gay people tend to feel on the right side if they say they are with the Catholic Church. It is important to notice that the "marriage" ideology is more pagan than religious, still prevalent during the Roman Imperial times.

Anonymous said...

I recall the teaching being "take this all of you and eat it. take this all of you and drink" Now priests and a German pope are changing the words of its icon Christ. Suprise Suprise. Take this benedict and choke on it.